February 20, 2010

Vintage Vogue and a Tip

Hello everyone! For today's card, I used the new Vintage Vogue clear mount stamp set from Stampin' Up! The new images are so gorgeous. I think I'm going to be using this set A LOT! I also used the new border punches available in the Occasions mini catalog and Sale-a-Bration catalog. The texture in the background was done using a CB embossing folder. The "friend" sentiment was done by inking the word with a marker because I wanted to leave the "S" off the end. I then inked the stamp up in Razzleberry ink, stamped it, cut it out and popped it up on a dimensional.


The Recipe:
Stamps: Vintage Vogue, Vintage Labels (happy birthday sentiment)
Paper: Rich razzleberry, more mustard, whisper white, Walk in the Park dsp
Ink: More mustard, rich razzleberry
Accessories: Pinking hearts and scallop trim border punches, CB embossing folder, little leaves sizzlet die, nestability dies, razzleberry polkadot ribbon, old olive ribbon, gems, diemensional.





Now, as promised in my last post, I have a tutorial for a great, flat tied bow. I love all the new wide ribbons that Stampin' Up has available, but getting a tied bow to lay flat and have the tails go the right direction is a challenge. I was playing around with the ribbon and came up with this technique. It was kind of one of those "hit your head with your hand and say, why didn't I think of that before?" moments. This is my first tutorial, so please be patient. I hope to improve as I go along.

To begin, gather your supplies: your project cardstock, a longer piece of ribbon( long enough to fit over your cardstock plus some extra allowed for a knot), a shorter piece of ribbon for the "tails", tape and good sharp ribbon scissors (they are labeled ribbon and I only use them to clip ribbon so they stay nice and sharp).


To begin, the bow, form a very loose slip knot (just like you would make when you begin tying your shoes. This is the point where you can get your ribbon to do what you want it to. The knot area should be nice and flat and the ends should leave the knot in a straight line. Fudge around with this until you get it to look the way you want it to.
















Next, pick up the shorter piece of ribbon and insert it into the knot formed in the last step.

























Once you have the smaller piece of ribbon into the knot, tighten the ends of the longer ribbon. This forms the bow. The tighter you tighten the ends, the thicker your knot is going to be. I like to leave it flat, so I don't tighten it too much. Trim the tails with your sharp scissors.













Here's the finished bow. I taught this to the ladies in my stamping groups last month, and they loved it. Give it a try and let me know what you think.



Thanks for stopping by








8 Responses to “Vintage Vogue and a Tip!”

Rebekka says:

February 11, 2010 at 12:43 pm (Edit)

Great tutorial, and great idea. I am ribbon and bow challenged, so I must try this.



Elisabeth says:

February 11, 2010 at 1:56 pm (Edit)

Thank you so much…I am bow and knot challenged, can’t wait to try this trick!



Katie says:

February 11, 2010 at 3:49 pm (Edit)

Wow! My mom is soooo creative! Now I know were I got it from… Great blog, looks like you’re having fun. Love you!



Jacqueline (Scraps of Life) says:

February 11, 2010 at 4:57 pm (Edit)

What a fun card! I love the gems you added to that scallop border punch! I might have to case that idea And your ribbon tying tutorial was perfect! Easy to understand, and I will definitely be trying your technique out to get those beautiful bows! Fabulous job Terri!



Sew-Ink says:

February 11, 2010 at 7:27 pm (Edit)

Very cute, love the embossing!



elizabeth says:

February 12, 2010 at 12:33 pm (Edit)

Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou for the ribbon demo. I managed to confuse 15 class attendees and myself with my last bow. LOL! This month I will show them yours!



Karen imastampin says:

February 12, 2010 at 4:28 pm (Edit)

Terri,



I love the look of your blog. It is very clean and fresh – uncluttered!



Your tutorial for the bow is a great idea! I like it a lot and your directions are really clear. Good job friend!



Hugs to you,

Karen



Marlene says:

February 17, 2010 at 2:26 pm (Edit)

So THAT’s the secret!!!! You don’t know how long I’ve been slappin’ my head, trying to figure out how some people have such perfect bows! Thanks for the tip, sista!

No comments: